Sunday, April 16, 2006

The "L" Word

Originally posted, January 25, 2006 12:23am:
No, this post isn't about that show on Showtime. Truth be told, I 've never even seen that show. The "L" in this post doesn't stand for "Lesbian", although to some people it's just as bad. The "L" I'm talking about is "Liberal".

Many people like Bill O'Reilly to throw around the word "Liberal" as if it's a bad thing, and I'm Sick o it. I am a Liberal, and proud of it. So, I don't think that our lives should be lived around Bible. That doesn't mean that I'm guaranteed a spot in hell because of it. I don't like the idea of prayer in public classrooms; I don't like the idea of the Ten Commandments being posted in public schools. I do favor stem cell research, and I am Pro Choice. I like to believe that I am a free thinker. I respect people's right to having their own opinion, and I enjoy a good debate. It could also be said that conservatives are close-minded, but that doesn't make it true.

Then you have people like Pat Robertson. This guy and people who watch his show completely baffle me. I've spent six years in catholic schools, so I'm speaking from first hand experience. How can people who believe in a God that has, and I quote, "unconditional love" not be able to express such a simple thing as tolerance. I'm not asking people to condone how I live my live, but I do ask that they respect it. I don't judge them, so why do they think that they are so superior that they can judge me? The only person who can judge me is God! I couldn't believe what Pat Robertson said about Mr. Sharon, but to be honest, I was surprised. I recall once as a child I happened upon the 700 Club, and Pat Robertson was doing a story on Acupuncture and how it open up the body to the devil. This blew my mind as a kid. I'm part Japanese and Chinese. When I was growing up, I had relatives who had it done regularly . It was part of my culture growing up. I just couldn't understand what would make someone say such a thing.

I have two Lesbian cousins, and I love them dearly, so why is it that they can't get married in the eyes of the government? I say government because it doesn't matter about how it appears in the eyes of God. God is the only one who can judge anyone, and no one else's business. What about homosexuality bothers people. Like Whoopie Golberg, "If you don't believe in gay marriage then don't marry one". Now you have your Bible thumpers who say it's wrong because it's in the Bible. This is crap! I've have never heard a bigger cop out in my life. The Bible also says that fathers can sell their daughters. It also says that parents have the right to publicly kill their child for speak up against them. It also says that anyone who touches the flesh of pig should be put to death. If we all followed the literal law of the Bible, then no one would be here. If you've ever had a pork chop, or got into an argument with your parents, you're dead. If you don't like Gay marriage, then have the conviction to say that it's because you don't like it. Stop hiding behind the Bible, and stop using it as a crutch.

Now, I'm not intending this post to be anti-conservative, I'm targeting this at anyone who is not tolerant of others. As I said above, I don't believe in school prayer, and I'm pro choice, but I'm not going on TV saying that everyone who does not agree with me should go to hell. I'm not putting down other cultures just because I don't understand or agree with their traditions. So go ahead call me a "Baby Killer" if you want. You have a right to your opinion, but please also respect mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger NctrnlBst said...

I have no idea why, but instead of posting a comment on my blog, he e-mailed it to me. since it is obvious that he/she/it doesn't want to go on record with what they said and how they feel, I'll just post their question and answer it as best I can.
"I'm one of those people that doesn't agree with you. Example: After they took prayer out of school, we started having shootings in schools, and everything else. We never had a problem with that stuff before."
I don't think that Prayer in the class room would have done anything to prevent those events. I've gone to Catholic school for six years, and the one thing that I have found is that Prayer is not necessarily practicing faith. Sadly, to a lot of students, prayer in school has taken on the same meaning as saying the pledge of alegance. Just an everyday recitation of words. Saying the pledge of alegance doesn't make anyone more patriotic just like saying a prayer doesn't make you any more faithful... Actions do.
Shootings in schools aren't the result of no prayer in schools. Lack parent participation in the lives of those children, the correct teaching of the meaning behind prayer is. What about the thousands of schools all over the country that don't have prayer in the classroom that didn't have a shooting? Are we to assume that because they don't have prayer that they are doomed to eventually fall victim to a shooting?

When Marylinn Manson was asked what he would have said to the kids responcible for the shooting, he said: "I wouldn't have said anything. I would have listened which is what no one did for those kids."

12:55 AM, April 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home